Tiananmen Square Beijing
Free of Charge
Half of an Hour
world’s largest square, Tiananmen tower, national flag rising and lowering, monument of people’s heroes, great hall of people, memorial hall of Chairman Mao, national museum of China
Tiananmen Square is the largest city square in the world, with 440,000 square meters and 880 meters from north to south and 500 meters from east to west, and can hold one million people for public celebration or gatherings. Thousands of people come to the Square every day. It is the must place to visit in Beijing City. It is also a relaxing place for the common people to fly kites and walk. On a holiday, the whole square is covered with fresh flowers everywhere.
Highlights of the Tiananmen Square
- Tiananmen Gate
Also called Gate of Heavenly Peace, Tiananmen Gate sits to the north of the Tiananmen Square, separating it from, and connecting it to, the Forbidden City. It was on the rostrum of Tiananmen Gate that Mao Zedong declared the People’s Republic of China on October 1st 1949, which is why a large portrait of Mao hangs from the rostrum of Tiananmen Gate. The two red signs say: “Long live the People’s Republic of China” and “Long live the great union of the peoples of the world”.
Opening Hours: 08:30 17:00
- Attending the National Flag Raising Ceremony Every Morning
The national flag is raised daily at sunrise and lowered at sunset. The procession for this comes through Tiananmen gate, which is closed behind the procession so as to see the flag raising and lowering, be on the square side of Tiananmen gate (or up on the rostrum).
- Monument to People’s Heroes
Standing in the center of Tiananmen Square and north of the Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao, the Monument to People’s Heroes, together with Tiananmen and Zhengyangmen form a harmonious and consistent building complex. The Monument to the People’s Heroes is a square building, covering an area of 3,000 square meters, composed of three parts: the body, the Buddhist-style base, and the pedestal, reaching as tall as 37.94m.
- Great Hall of the People
The Great Hall of the People lies to the west of Tiananmen Square and south of the West Chang’an Street. It is where the National People’s Congress is held and also where state leaders hold diplomatic meetings and the masses stage political activities. It was built in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the founding of PRC. Facing east, the hall covers an area of 150,000 square meters, 336m long from south to north, 206m wide from east to west and 46.5m high. The building area of the Great Hall of the People reaches to 171,800 square meters, even larger than that of the Forbidden City, hence the largest among hall structures in the world.
Opening Hours: Open to the public around the year, except for the national conferences or other significant political activities.
- Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao
Memorial Hall of Chairman Map situated at the south side of the Square, divided into three halls and Chairman Mao’s body lies in a crystal coffin in one of the halls surrounded by fresh bouquets of various famous flowers and grasses. It covers an area of 57.2 thousand square meters, 220m from east to west and 280m from south to north. It is free of charge for a visit.
- National Museum of China
Located to the east of Tiananmen Square and south to East Chang’an Street, opposite to Great Hall of the People, National Museum of China is an inclusive museum of time-honored Chinese culture and history on the basis of former Museum of Chinese History and former Museum of Chinese Revolution. It is free of charge for a visit, open to the public at 9:00 to 17:00 daily.
How to get there
- Subway Line 1: get off at Tiananmen East or Tiananmen West Station
- Subway Line 2: get off at Qianmen Station an walk north
- Take bus no.1, 5, 10, 22, 37, 52, 205, 728 or 802 and get off at Tiananmen West.
- Take bus no.1, 2, 10, 20, 37, 52, 59, 82, 120, 126, 203, 205, 210, 728 or 802 and get off at Tiananmen East.
- Take bus no.2, 5, 8, 20, 22, 120, 126, 203, or 210 and get off at Tiananmen Square East.
- Take bus no.2, 5, 20, 120, 126 or 210 and get off at Tiananmen Square West.
Weather Best Time to Go
You can go to the Tiananmen Square anytime of the year, because the beautiful Beijing presents different features for its clear distinction of four seasons. There are thousands of people from home or abroad every day for a visit.
- You have to be as early as you can to arrive at the Square before sunrise, because there are crowds of people attending the ceremony every day.
- The renowned Forbidden City is reached through Tiananmen Gate.
- No cameras, videos devices, beverage or bags are allowed inside of the Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao.
Recommended Beijing tours including Tiananmen Sqaure
- 1 Day Beijing Classic Tour from US$39
- 2 Days Soul of Beijing Tour from US$209
- 3 Days Beijing Essence City Break from US$290
- 4 Days Classic Beijing Tour Package from US$327
- 5 Days Experience the Real Traditional Hutong Life from US$445
- 6 Days In-depth Great Wall Experience Tour from US$598
- 7 Days Beijing Side Trip to Chengde from US$679