Beijing Azure Clouds Temple Tour/Biyun Temple
a Buddhist temple famous for fine scenery, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, the Arhats Hall, the Vajrasana Pagoda
The Temple of Azure Clouds, is a Buddhist temple located in the eastern part of the Western Hills, just outside the north gate of Fragrant Hills Park (Xiangshan Gongyuan), in the Haidian District, a northwestern suburb of Beijing, China, approximately 20 km from the city center. It was built in the 14th century (possibly in 1331), during the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) and was expanded in 1748.
The temple, which is built on six different levels over an elevation of nearly 100 meters, is known for its fine scenery. The temple also includes the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, which is located at the center of the temple complex. Two other prominent features are the Arhats Hall and the Vajrasana Pagoda.
Inside Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall lies an empty crystal coffin presented by the USSR government in 1925 in memory of Sun Yat-sen (his body had already been buried in Nanjing). Photos of Sun Yat-sen, his handwriting, books and statue are also on display on two sides.
There are 512 statues, of which include 500 wooden Arhats, 11 Bodhisattvas and one statue of Ji Gong (a famous Buddhist monk) inside the Hall of Arhats. All the Arhats are vivid, life-size statues with different poses and expressions. It has been said that two of these Arhats were the statues of Emperor Kangxi and Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1911). In addition to these life-sized images, a miniature statue of Ji Gong perched on an overhead beam.
The magnificent Vajra Throne Pagoda is the highest building in the temple. This 35 meter-high tower with elegant decorations is a perfect observational position to view all the scenery of western Beijing.
Location: outside the north gate of Xiangshan Park which is 20 kilometers from Beijing City
Opening Hours: 08:40 16:50
How to get there
Visitors will take bus no. 318, 360, 634, 696, 698 or 714 and get off at Xiangshan Station
Weather/Best Time to Go
Amazing Beijing enjoys different features for its clear distinction of four seasons, characterized by a long hot summer, long chilly winter, and shorter spring and autumn. The hottest month in Beijing is July and coldest is January. Considering the frequent sandstorms in spring, September and October with their pleasant weather are considered the best visiting times.
Summer and Autumn are the best time to visit, when the scenery and landscape is the most beautiful and fabulous. Please forecast Beijing weather during your next Beijing trip.
- You are suggested to visit the Temple of Recumbent Buddha, Xiangshan Park and the Temple of Azure Clouds on one tour itinerary.
- You have to buy the entrance ticket of Xiangshan Park to get to the mountain where the Temple of Azure Clouds is located.
Recommended Beijing Private Tour Packages
- Half Day Beijing Night Show Tour from US$58
- Half Day Classic Beijing Hutong Rickshaw Tour: Gulou & Local Family from US$80
- 1 Day Olympic Village and Summer Palace Tour from US$86
- 1 Day Beijing Classic Tour from US$39
- 1 Day Badaling Great Wall & Ming Tombs Tour from US$50
- 2 Days Soul of Beijing Tour from US$209
- 2 Days Beijing City Break/Beijing Stopover Trip from US$202
- 3 Days Beijing Essence City Break from US$290
- 3 Days Beijing Essence Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$326
- 4 Days Classic Beijing Tour Package from US$327
- 4 Days Beijing Classic Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$333
- 5 Days Experience the Real Traditional Hutong Life from US$445
- 5 Days Beijing Highlights Tour Package with Great Wall Hiking from US$419
- 6 Days In-depth Great Wall Experience Tour from US$598
- 6 Days Discover the Imperial College & Confucius Education from US$499
- 7 Days Beijing Side Trip to Chengde from US$679
- 7 Days Beijing Eco-friendly & Green Adventure Tour from US$564
- 8 Days Beijing Cultural and Historical Immersion Tour Package from US$753