Beijing Nan Luo Gu Xiang Shopping
As one of the best preserved historical areas of Beijing downtown, Nanluoguxiang is a great place to chill out and enjoy the surrounding architecture, as well as being one of the most chic and trendy places to hang out in the afternoons and evenings.
Nanluoguxiang is not a pedestrain street, and you can also ride a bike for sightseeing.
It has plenty of choices for eating and drinking without the all-out party atmosphere associated with Sanlitun bar area.
Ordering a drink in the unique bar and relax from the noisy downtown.
The 765-meter-long south-north central lane, with 16 hutong branching off the central lane, is full of interesting craft shops, relaxing cafes and trendy bars.
Roaming around Nanluoguxiang, and you will always can find a unique store before you.
With a history of 700 years, it is one of the oldest hutong neighborhoods in the Beijing City. Now, it has been fully restored to its former glory, and is surrounded by other historical sites such as Houhai Lake and the Drum and Bell Towers.
The brand of Nanluoguxiang is totally designed in a Beijing cultural way.
In a word, Beijing a hidden gem in Beijing, Nan Luo Gu Xiang is a perfect blend of the past and present.
The gate of Nanluoguxiang: it is also the most classical gate in Beijing, almost same with Qianmen, Yandaixiejie…
- located in Beijings Dongcheng District, just east of Houhai Lake and north of the Forbidden City;
- The south entrance of Nan Luo Gu Xiang is at Dianmen East Street (Di An Men Dong Da Jie)
How to get there:
Most taxi drivers should know how to get there. If you feel like walking – the north entrance is about 500 meters east of the Drum Tower on Gulou East Street (Gu Lou Dong Da Jie). The south entrance is about 1 kilometer east of Lotus Lane (He Hua Shi Chang) at Houhai on Dianmen East Street (Di An Men Dong Da Jie), or about 1 kilometer west of Zhang Zi Zhong Lu station on subway line 5.
A Virtual Roaming along the Nanluoguxiang
Nanluoguxiang is filled with bars, cafes, clothing stores and handcraft shops, all designed in classical Chinese “Hutong” style, so it is great to just wander down starting at one end and browsing your way to the other.
Many tourists enjoy taking ride through this 800-year-old hutong that was once home to celebrities, officials, artists and well-off families. There are well over 20 restaurants and 40 shops scattered along Nanluoguxiang.
For the Beijing backpackers or the ones who are travelling on budget, you can try some of the cheap hotels or youth hostels in the area.
Featured Shops and Restaurants
1. The Pottery Workshop at #23 Nan Luo Gu Xiang.
While it would be difficult to take one of their larger pieces home, theyve got lovely small pieces like teacups and jars that pack nicely. The workshop exhibits pieces made by their resident artists. With nearly half the artists also teaching, inquire at the workshop if youre interested in studying ceramics with the workshop. They have studios in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Jingdezhen (Chinas ceramics capital) as well as the Beijing studio.
The Chinese pottery and porcelain will amaze you with their unique and distinction.
2. Grifted at #32 Nan Luo Gu Xiang
It is a fabulous store full of crazy Chinese-inspired toys and gifts. Buy your best friend a floppy Mao Zedong (or Fidel Castro, all the good Commie leaders are represented) doll, Peking Opera puppets or a wacky umbrella.
All of the shops in Nanluoguxiang are all unique with the unique stuffs that you never find the similar one in the world,
3. Plastered T-shirts at #61
It is worth a stop for all your gift needs back home. Buy everyone a hip t-shirt with retro designs. Theyve got kids, womens and mens. If you cant decide, buy an enamel-ware covered mug. You never know when your next camping trip will be and your retro mug will be the envy of the campfire.
You can shop very attractive bags, wallets, clothes…promise you that they are unique around the world.
4. If you need to refuel, dont miss Fish Nation at #31. Owned by Shanghais favorite hole-in-the-wall Southern Barbarian, you can chow on some fish and chips and very good beer. It is popular for its British style fish and chips. There is a roof top area available for enjoying summer evenings.
6. Another interesting bar and restaurant, ‘The Best is Simple’, can be found just off Nan Luo Gu Xiang.
The cozy atmosphere in the bar of Nanluoguxiang can calm you down from the noisy world.
7. With its understated appearance, the Beijing Vulcan Culture & Art Bookstore is a good place for those who have fallen in love with Chinese culture. Books for domestic and foreign tourists are also available. Thangka paintings from Tibet are also sold here.
turn a few pages of Chinese books you love, and may pick up some Chinese words.
- To Beijing Nanluoguxiang Photos Page to enjoy the site more.