Ming Dynasty City Wall Relics Park Tour
Free of Charge!
half an hour
the last surviving slice of the Ming Inner City Wall, runs all the way from the former site of Chongwen Men to the Southeast corner Watchtower
Ming Dynasty City Wall Relics Park is one of the top-quality parks in Beijing, which is located 3 kilometers from the center of the Beijing, between the southeast turret and Chongwen Gate in the west. It is a scenic spot of ancient architectural relics, opened to the public in 2002.
The Ming City Wall, first built over 580 years ago, in 1419, or the 17th year of Emperor Yongle’s reign in the Ming Dynasty, used to run about 40 kilometers. The remaining relic, which is about 1.5 kilometers long, used to be part of the inner city wall of Beijing. It is the longest section of the city wall remains in the city, and an important symbol of Beijing.
The design of the park aims at classical simplicity, with over 70,000 square meters of lawns, 110,000 flowers, over 400 large arbors such as Chinese pines and Chinese scholar trees, and over 6,000 shrubs. Pipelines of 28,000 meters have been installed; lighting devices have been installed for the wall, lawns, over 10,000 square meters of roads, paths, and corridors, and the square. Several sights of interest with themes reflecting the appearances of the wall relic and special qualities of landscaping, such as Old Trees and Ming Walls, Stroll among Broken Walls and New Charm of Ancient Tower, have been designated to fully display the cultural and historical elements of the Ming city wall.
Since it was officially opened to the public, the park receives nearly 200,000 tourists from home and abroad each year. In Oct. 2002, President Jiang Zemin paid a visit to it, and expressed great satisfaction with Beijing’s efforts to protect cultural relics, the appearance of the ancient capital, and improving the surroundings of people’s homes.
Location: Dongbianmen, Dongdajie Street, Chongwen District, Beijing, just south of Beijing Railway Station
Opening Hours: 08:00 17:30
How to get there
Tourists can take the bus no. 2, 25, 29, 39, 43, 44, 59, 434, 713, or 820, and get off at Peixin Street East Station.
Weather/Best Time to Go
Beijing enjoys the humid continental climate with hot humid summers, cold dry winters, shorter spring and autumn. You can have a Beijing tour any time of the year, because it can give fresh feeling by enjoying the special tour of the four seasons.
You can visit the Ming City Wall at any time of the year, which will impress you with different feeling. Choose a sunny day and explore the Ming City Wall on foot. Would like to know how the weather looks like during your Beijing tour? Pay attention to the Beijing weather forecast.
- Chinese city walls were used to protect towns and cities in China in the ancient times. Therefore, the Ming City Wall served to protect the Beijing town in Ming Dynasty.
- Admission is free for any person visiting the 1km long wall known as the Ming City Wall Ruins Park.
Recommended Beijing Private Tour Packages
- Half Day Beijing Night Show Tour from US$58
- Half Day Classic Beijing Hutong Rickshaw Tour: Gulou & Local Family from US$80
- 1 Day Olympic Village and Summer Palace Tour from US$86
- 1 Day Beijing Classic Tour from US$39
- 1 Day Badaling Great Wall & Ming Tombs Tour from US$50
- 2 Days Soul of Beijing Tour from US$209
- 2 Days Beijing City Break/Beijing Stopover Trip from US$202
- 3 Days Beijing Essence City Break from US$290
- 3 Days Beijing Essence Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$326
- 4 Days Classic Beijing Tour Package from US$327
- 4 Days Beijing Classic Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$333
- 5 Days Experience the Real Traditional Hutong Life from US$445
- 5 Days Beijing Highlights Tour Package with Great Wall Hiking from US$419
- 6 Days In-depth Great Wall Experience Tour from US$598
- 6 Days Discover the Imperial College & Confucius Education from US$499
- 7 Days Beijing Side Trip to Chengde from US$679
- 7 Days Beijing Eco-friendly & Green Adventure Tour from US$564
- 8 Days Beijing Cultural and Historical Immersion Tour Package from US$753