Beijing Capital Museum Tour
Free of Charge!
China’s best museum, 200,000 cultural relics in collection, a variety of items from imperial China as well as other Asian cultures
The Capital Museum, located at 16 Fuxingmenwai Dajie, Xicheng District, west extension of Chang’an Avenue, Xicheng District, opened in 1981 while the present building was built in the late 90s.
The Capital Museum today contains over 200,000 cultural relics in its collection, only a small fraction of it are exhibited, and a significant percentage of the museum’s art collection came from artifacts unearthed in Beijing.
The Capital Museum was established in 1981 with a collection of some 83,000 objects. Although initially the Museum pales in comparison to the visitors received in other major art museums in Beijing, such as the Palace Museum in the Forbidden City, the National Museum of China and the National Art Museum of China; it has since then became one of the leading cultural institutions in the city, with the first five months of 2007 receiving more than 166,000 visitors.
The present Capital Museum’s building’s massive roof and the gradient at the entrance square was influenced by the design from ancient Chinese architecture, and the stone-made exterior wall was meant to symbolize imagery of the city walls and towers in ancient China. A piece of danbi (a massive stone carved with images of dragon, phoenix and imperial artifacts) is embedded on the ground in front of the north gate of the museum, whereas a decorative archway from the Ming Dynasty is set in the reception hall in which shows the “central axis” feature that are commonly seen in Chinese architecture. The Bronze Exhibition Hall, which has an oval-shape, was also meant to symbolize the unearthing of ancient relics by its slanting design in which extends from the ground to the exterior of the museum.
Collections in the Capital Museum
The main display includes exhibitions on Beijing history, building construction and on Beijing folk customs. It occupies seven exhibition halls in both main and the oval exhibition halls. Porcelain wares, bronzes, calligraphy works, paintings, jades, Buddha status, exquisite artworks in study room, and folklore of old Beijing are displayed.
- Collection of ancient Chinaware
- Collection of ancient Beijing bronze art
- Collection of ancient calligraphy
- Collection of ancient paintings
- Collection of ancient jade ware
- Collection of ancient sculptures and Buddhist status
- Collection of gadgets of studies
Location: 16 Fuxingmenwai Dajie, Xicheng District
Opening Hours: 09:00 17:00
How to get there
Subway: Take subway line 1 and get off at Muxidi Station
- Take bus no. 1, 52, 205 or 728 and get off at Gonghui Building Station
- Take bus no. 37 and get off at Sanlihe East Road South Mouth Station
- Take bus no. 26, 45, 114, 308, 650 or 937 and get off at Baiyun Road Station
Weather/Best Time to Go
Beijing enjoys four distinctive seasons owning to its humid continental climate, ranging from very warm during the summer: 28C to 38C (82F to 93F), to chilly and dry during the winter: -10C to 10C (14F to 50F).
All of the year is suitable for your Beijing Water Cube tour. A sunny day is much better, so forecast Beijing weather of your tour.
- Visitors for the special exhibitions may purchase tickets directly from box office in the main lobby.
- You have to reserve 3 days in advance for your visit, because the number of tourists is limited less than 4,000.
- For more information, please visit the official website: http://www.capitalmuseum.org.cn/en/index.htm.
Recommended Beijing Private Tour Packages
- Half Day Beijing Night Show Tour from US$58
- Half Day Classic Beijing Hutong Rickshaw Tour: Gulou & Local Family from US$80
- 1 Day Olympic Village and Summer Palace Tour from US$86
- 1 Day Beijing Classic Tour from US$39
- 1 Day Badaling Great Wall & Ming Tombs Tour from US$50
- 2 Days Soul of Beijing Tour from US$209
- 2 Days Beijing City Break/Beijing Stopover Trip from US$202
- 3 Days Beijing Essence City Break from US$290
- 3 Days Beijing Essence Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$326
- 4 Days Classic Beijing Tour Package from US$327
- 4 Days Beijing Classic Tour Package with Hutong Rickshaw from US$333
- 5 Days Experience the Real Traditional Hutong Life from US$445
- 5 Days Beijing Highlights Tour Package with Great Wall Hiking from US$419
- 6 Days In-depth Great Wall Experience Tour from US$598
- 6 Days Discover the Imperial College & Confucius Education from US$499
- 7 Days Beijing Side Trip to Chengde from US$679
- 7 Days Beijing Eco-friendly & Green Adventure Tour from US$564
- 8 Days Beijing Cultural and Historical Immersion Tour Package from US$753